Monday, April 5, 2010

Studying History Portraying History.

I am always fascinated of the stories of my grandmother about the ordeals of the people during the "panahon sa guerra" (times of war). We could spend the whole afternoon by the porch, lola would sat on the bench while her lap would be my pillow, her hand is busy in searching the tenants in my head, who hid under my thick wavy hears. The session would always end me knock-down into dreamland, and lola in the kitchen preparing a feast.

As i went to seek further learning, obviously I majored in History.

To top it all, in all the colleges and universities that I been to, I stayed most of the time in Libraries. Don't get me wrong, I worked as a student assistant in the library, some school take a cut in my tuition, other scrap it all.

When i finally became a Tour Guide in Cebu, the things I've learned help me a lot in doing my job.

And my History fast becoming a Cebu-centric one, to the point that some aspect of history, world's in general and Philippine's in particular would slip my mind.

In studying Cebu's history I came to knew the foremost Cebu Historians, if Manila have Gregorio Zadie, well we have Dionesio Sy, and of course there are Dr. Resil Mojares, (University of San Carlos), Dr. Michael Cullinane (University of Wisconsin), Fe Susan Go (University of Michigan) Felix Sales (Cebu Fire Station), yes you got it right Sales work a a fire marshal and write history in between fires. Jose Eleazar R. Bersales (University of San Carlos) who is digging his way into the pre-colonial Cebu. And the 50 or soo Town History writers of the Cebu Provincial History Project.

What could be more fascinating than reading history?

Oh well, PORTRAYING IT.

I was "COERCED" by THE Tonette PaƱares of STC Museum, to portray Pantaleon Villegas A.K.A. Leon Kilat.




Who could say no to Tonnete, not even Cebu City vice-mayor Mike Rama who played Miguel Lopez de Legaspi




I really had fun..



1 comment:

  1. Halo Ka Bino,
    what activity was this? and when?

    ReplyDelete